WHMIS: Workplace Hazardous Material Information System
This course has been designed to meet the minimum requirements of the WHMIS Regulations (Regulation 860/90) and is designed to provide information to employers and employees "those exposed to or likely to be exposed to a hazardous material in the workplace" shall be trained.
All employees who are working with hazardous material must be trained and "likely to be exposed to" could include the presence of hazardous materials in the workplace which could impact everyone in the workplace. If there was a fire, evacuation, chemical spill leak or emission etc., It is up to employer to determine training requirements in consultation with the "worker health and safety rep. or Joint Health and Safety Committee".
General Industry and Construction
- The basics of the legislation including the model of an information system designed to provide information to the workers about the hazards associated with hazardous material and how to protect your self. The information system will include: How to read Labels, The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and Worker Education- including Generic WHMIS and the Employers Duty to provide Workplace Specific Information in relation to the Hazardous Materials in the Workplace
- Legislated Responsibilities for the Supplier, Employer, Supervisor and the Worker.
- Workers Rights - Right to Know, Right to Participate and the Right to Refuse unsafe work
- The Two Type of Labels - Workplace Label and a Supplier Label.
- The Material Safety Data Sheets - The 9 Sections (minimum and 52 Sub-Sections of information detailing specific information of the hazardous material including, what is it, how do I work with it safely, what protection do I need, what could be the harmful affects, (Acute and Chronic) and First Aid Measures and much more.
Required Training for all workers "exposed to or likely to be exposed to a hazardous material" for all Federal and Provincial workplace in each province across Canada.
This course has been approved for 2 hours.
There are no pre-requisite requirements for this course.
Quizzes - All quizzes must be passed with a 70% to proceed forward to the next lesson.
Final Exam- Final Exam must be passed with a 70% to pass the course. The final exam can be taken three times if necessary.